Could you be a carer? Call 01382 561279

Supported Lodgings

Supported Lodgings provides a stepping stone for young people who do not have all of the skills needed to live in their own flat.  Accommodation is provided in the homes of Supported Lodgings carers who offer a safe, stable and friendly environment for young people to work towards independent living. 

The type of Supported Lodgings can vary from house to house, some young people may become part of the family while others may be given support as and when required. Supported lodgings can be available for a short or long period of time.  Some young people are ready to move into their own flat earlier than others.  It depends on the young person’s confidence and ability to cope on their own.

Supported Lodgings provides:

  • Care leavers between the ages of 16 and 25 years the option of a family based placement with supported lodgings carers
  • Support to care leavers to develop social, practical and other independence skills
  • Support to care leavers to achieve their potential in relation to further education, training and employment
  • A safe and supportive home from which care leavers can address a range of additional needs
  • Positive adult role models to care leavers
  • Enable care leavers to make or re-establish links to their community

“It has really worked.  I feel it has worked really well.  I feel like I have been given a chance.  I feel like people have listened.  It has been great”

What is the role of a Supported Lodgings carer?

This will change and need to be adapted to meet the needs of every specific young person.  In some situation the young people will need support getting up, reminded about appointments, help doing their laundry, cooking, cleaning, budgeting and offering any emotional support and advice that is required.

The focus is on improving outcomes for vulnerable young care leavers giving them the necessary supports and advice that they require to successfully live independently.

Who can use Supported Lodgings?

Care experienced young people between the ages 16 to 25.  Some may be experiencing family disruption, disputes or loss.  Others may be leaving foster care or residential care. All the young people referred will need a safe and friendly home environment to help them develop and move forward.

What is Supported Lodgings really like?

As a Supported Lodgings Carer you may be faced with situations which may be unfamiliar to you.  It may mean coping with challenging behaviour as young people develop into mature adults.  However, most of our carers find that the rewards and satisfactions from being a Supported Lodgings Carer far outweigh the problems and frustrations. As a carer you can make a real difference to a young person’s life.

Young people in Supported Lodgings can expect support, guidance and security.

What are the financial arrangements?

Supported Lodgings Carers are paid a weekly fee of up to £204 each for each young person.  As with any form of lodgings, young people will be expected to contribute towards their board and lodgings charge with the remainder being paid by either the Throughcare and Aftercare team or Housing Benefit.

You will be provided with full details well in advance of the placement commencing and the agreed sums will be set out in the house agreement.

What support and supervision do carers receive?

We offer regular support, supervision and comprehensive training to our carers.  We aim to ensure that they feel confident and skilled in their role of helping young people, and we supervise each placement, ensuring that it meets the required standards of care.  Carers also have the opportunity to attend our regular support groups.

Who can be a Supported Lodgings Carer?

Being a Supported Lodgings Carer with Carolina House Trust is open to couples, families (as long as children are over 5 years old) and single people. 

If you have an understanding of how to help young people develop their independent living skills in a caring and accepting environment then this may be the great opportunity you have been waiting on.  Young people who have been ‘looked after’ by the local authority often needs a stable, safe base where they can get the support and reassurance needed to help their transition to young adult.

How do I apply to become a Supported Lodgings Carer?

You can apply by contacting Carolina House Trust for an informal discussion.  The Supported Lodgings Social Worker will make a home visit to discuss your initial enquiry. They will provide information about the role and outline the process involved for your consideration.

All of our Supported Carer’s go through a rigorous assessment procedure and PVG Disclosure Record check.

If all this is satisfactory, you will be asked to attend the foster panel.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to have a spare room?

Yes, and this needs to be available at the time you apply.

Can I work as well as be a Supported Lodgings carer?

Yes, you can work elsewhere and the service would accommodate you by any visit or meetings being before or after you attend your place of employment.

Are there lots of checks?

In order to find out if supported lodgings is right for you, a number of checks will be carried out on you and your home.  These are nothing to worry about and include:

  • PVG check and an enhanced disclosure check for each adult in your household who is over the age of 16
  • Checks with your local authority
  • Medical check up carried out by your own GP
  • Checks with the education department if you have your own children
  • Health and safety check of your home
  • Reference request from employer and from two people who have known you for longer than two years


How will being a Supported Lodgings carer affect other children in our family?

It would not be appropriate to have very young children in the house, as supporting a young adult can be challenging.  Your specific situation will be explored in detail during the initial stages of the assessment process, to ensure that all factors have been considered including the needs of your family.

Do I need to have previous experience of working with children & young people?

Previous experience would be helpful, but not essential.  Most people have transferrable skills and we will help you identify these throughout the assessment process.

How much will I know about a child or young person before they are placed with me?

We will share as much information with you as possible and most placements are planned.  This means that there are various stages, the first is sharing profiles and then if both parties are happy to proceed there is an initial introductory meeting.  Following on from this we encourage a tea visit and a few planned overnight stays.  If everyone is happy to continue then a plan of the young adult moving will be put into place.

Our latest Supported Lodgings Inspection Report 

Supported Lodgings Inspection Report 2017pdf


Subscribe to our newsletter to receive free advice and be kept up to date with our latest news.

By subscribing to our newsletter you are giving consent for us to retain your details in our contact database. If you do not wish us to retain your details please contact us at to have your details removed.

Let’s make a
Difference Together

Get started and find out how you can help make a
difference to a young persons life today.

Get Started